* 2 Delicata Squash
* 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
* 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
* 1 Italian sweet sausage, removed from casing
* 1 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
* cooking oil
* Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil and lightly oil.
* Carefully cut squash in half with a large sharp chef’s knife and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Add a bit of olive oil and salt and roast flat side down for 20 minutes.
* Remove sausage from the casing and break in to smaller bits. Cook untouched in a hot pan with a tablespoon of oil for 2-3 minutes until brown on one side. Stir occasionally until cooked through.
* Remove the sausage from the pan leaving any oil and fat to cook the onions and peppers in. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the veggies and sauté until tender. Return the sausage to the pan to incorporate for about a minute. Set the stuffing aside to cook while the squash is still roasting.
* Remove the squash from the oven and flip them over so the flat side is up. Fill the insides with sausage, peppers, and onions and top with a couple pinches of grated cheese.
* Return the squash to the broiler until the cheese has fully melted and browned a bit.
* Eat the whole squash, skin and all, with a fork and knife or as finger food.
CharlesDickensABox: I’ve never seen a delicata squash before, but I haven’t really looked, either. Are they hard to find?